You don’t have to be a little girl to enjoy and reap the benefits of ballet these days! There are dance classes nowadays geared towards people of all shapes, sizes, abilities, and age. There are dozens of studies out there that tout the benefits of dance, especially for adults over the age of 55 years.
So why should you take up ballet in adulthood?
- Dancing helps ward off Alzheimer’s– According to a major study by the New England Journal of medicine reveals that stimulating one’s mind and body by dancing can ward off Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia, increase serotonin levels and reduces stress.
- Ballet is a great workout- Ballet is challenging, and a great alternative to other traditional aerobic exercise. Increased flexibility, decreased joint pain, stronger bones and boosted cardiovascular health are all benefits of participation in ballet and barre classes on a regular basis.
- Ballet is beautiful- Ballet is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in a beautiful atmosphere, sounded by beautiful music, moves, tradition, and people. Ballet prides itself on artistry and refinement, helping to instill grace and poise in even the clumsiest newbie.
- Dance is social- Classes provide a wonderful and welcoming pressure free social outlet for people of all ages. By attending dance class weekly students have the opportunity to dance side by side with others who have similar interests and goals, creating a one-of-a-kind satisfying atmosphere.
With all of the positive benefits that are awaiting you if you try out ballet, what are you waiting for? At the Minnesota Conservatory for the Arts (MCA) we offer three different classes for adults that incorporate ballet:
- Silver Slippers– designed just for adults who 55+ years who are starting out or returning to dance after a hiatus. Also incorporates yoga, creative movement and low-impact cardio.
- Barre -high-energy workout taught by an PlusePointe Barre certified instructor, meets twice weekly for maximum results.
- Teen & Adult Ballet Technique & Conditioning– An introduction to ballet technique and conditioning.
Not sure that Ballet is for you, but you still want to try something new this year and reap the benefits of dance? MCA offers dance classes for adults in Hip Hop, Irish, Tap, and Dance Conditioning (combines yoga and pilates into the perfect conditioning class).
Did you enjoy this article? You may also enjoy:
Encouraging Wellness. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2015, from https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/talking-your-older-patient/encouraging-wellness
Erickson Living. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2015, from https://www.ericksonliving.com/articles/2014/06/benefits-dance-senior-citizens
Powers, R. (2010). Dancing Makes You Smarter. Retrieved December 7, 2015, from http://socialdance.stanford.edu/syllabi/smarter.htm
Awesome Adults in Action at MCA: