Jamie Schwaba

Jamie Schwaba

Managing Director of the Minnesota Conservatory for the Arts & former Library Story-time Presenter

The arts have always played a huge role in my life, as a child I took dance class three times a week, performed in community theatre productions and spent my free time creating everything from clay figures out of sculpey clay, button bracelets and even hair clips featuring old springs and tiny light bulbs from an old camera I had dismantled. (Needless to say I was the only one that wore my creations!)

Through the years I have worn many hats that have ranged from theatre arts undergraduate student, professional actress in Milwaukee, stage director, dance teacher, arts administrator and I even spent a few years presenting preschool and parent & child story-times while I worked part-time as an assistant at a library in a small town in Northeastern Wisconsin.

While wearing these hats I have been able to seek out and share my love of the arts and books with students of all ages and even my own son.  As we embark on a new year of programming at the MCA I thought that I would share with you a few of my favorite arts related picture books, that you can share with the creative kids in your life!  Hopefully a few of them will become favorites in your life and even better, maybe they will inspire you or your child to get crafty or moving!  Don’t forget you can pick them up or order them from your local library!

If you have a favorite arts related book, I would love to hear about it.  Please feel free to email me at jschwaba@smumn.edu or leave a comment below.

Visual Arts

Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg
Crafty Chloe by Kelly DiPucchio & Illustrated by Heather Ross

Dance

Rap a Tap Tap by Leo & Diane Dillon

Music

Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss , Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman
Opera Cat by Tess Weaver

Theatre

Pamela's First Musical by Wendy Wasserstein
The School Play (Little Golden Storybook) by Mercer Mayer