Thanks to previous support from the Elizabeth Callender King Foundation and new support from the BK 5K Youth Fund, MCA’s music division has been infused with new hand drums of all shapes and sizes. This summer MCA students in Drummin’ up Fun, Winona Arts Camp, tap camp and visiting students from the Winona Family YMCA and Corcoran-Fountain City 4-H Summer Program got to help us break our new drums in. Not only did these students ranging in age from 3 to 25 have fun, but they also got to experience some of the amazing mental and physical benefits of drumming.
Here is just a short list of the benefits:
- Drumming makes you happy. The act of drumming releases endorphins, and alpha brain waves, which help create general feelings of well-being and euphoria.
- Increased confidence. Playing the drums requires confidence to play LOUD and relatively unapologetic, as students progress they learn skills and confidence to showcase them, helping them excel in many areas of their lives.
- Sneaky way to work in fitness. Keeping time on a drum actually take a little more effort than you would expect. Just by using hand motions and moving to the beat, it’s possible to burn several hundred calories in a few hours of playing combine that with appropriate sleep, nutrition and other physical activity and drumming is a great way to stay happy and healthy.
- Increased academic performance. Many of studies indicate that students who participant in music training experienced enhanced cognitive, sensory and emotional skills, resulting in higher skills in almost every academic area.
- Creates a sense of community and connectedness. When played in a group setting, drumming provides and opportunity for “synchronicity” in that you connects players to others in the room.
Are you or a family member ready to drum? Families with kids who are 8 & under are invited to check out our New Family Fun with the Drum with two Fall session options or check back about soon for 2019 Summer Camp options.